-
December 21st, 2002, 08:21 PM
#1
tfunch24
Guest
This afternoon I took apart a Double 8mm magazine of Kodachrome II film. It was simpler than I expected.
I took the darkest blanket I have in the house and spread out on my bed. I placed the magazine underneath the blanket so that sunlight would not strike and expose the film. I don't know if this was enough; some light may have gotten under when I reached under the blanket but you win some and you lose some--and the film only cost a $1 in a thrift shop.
I opened up the magazine easily. It was secured by only two strips of tape. I then got an empty Double 8mm spool and its case and then carefully slipped the spool under the cover. I then removed the 25 feet of film, being mindful to make sure it remained wound around its spindle. Then came the tricky part--slipping the 8mm leader into the notch on the spool. It took me ten minutes to do this. After that, I wound the film onto the spool and then placed the spool into the case and closed the case up--all under the blanket.
We're putting the tree up tonight and I'm going to test the film by filming the tree. One question--two actually:
1. Is Kodachrome II daylight or tungsten-balanced? The box doesn't say.
2. I'm thinking of sending this to Film Rescue rather than Rocky Mountain Film Lab. RMFL transfers KII in B&W to a videotape; I've heard people rave up and down about the quality of color of KII and I want to experience the color projected. Does Film Transfer practice the same procedure with KII film?
The box advises to process the film before May 1969. We'll see what happens...
Tom
-
December 21st, 2002, 10:54 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Must have a good tactile you got? It must be fun to do it... However you may stop by book store to check hunter maganize to order night goggle that cost about less 80 dollars for your future however avoid military maginze bec it cost 200 dollars. You might can use goggle and do it in bathroom and of course, you know about "no light in it" and use the goggle that way you can see clear and fix it to have it store and ready to shot with. as i read long time ago about kodachrome II double 8mm. it is daytime and have to use tungsten light however have fun with the tree. Film rescue is smart move because pac moun. real expensive. Stop me if I am wrong. Jerome
-
December 22nd, 2002, 02:58 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Tom, is this the old K-12 process film? I just read about this film today on John Schwind's (or is it Martin Baumgarten's ?) site, down at the bottom of the page:
http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/ServicesPage10.html
You mentioned wanting to see the color of this film. Basically, my understanding is that the K-12 process is no longer possible, and Kodachrome II film can now only be processed to B&W negative.
In any case, film as old as yours probably will be fogged, even if it was kept in a freezer all these years. I've occasionally heard of exposed but unprocessed B&W film retaining some latent image after several decades, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for color reversal film. I guess if you don't mind the processing cost, it might be fun to try...
-
December 22nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
#4
tfunch24
Guest
Yeah, that's what I read too when I did some research on both RMFL and FR.
I'm still going to try and process it and see what happens.
I have no idea how this film was stored. I bought it for a $1 in a thrift shop last week.
Tom
-
December 23rd, 2002, 01:29 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I was looking through my Grandpas assortment of
R8 stuff and came across an unprocessed reel of
Koda II. I will have to quiz him on it but I am
unsure of whether it was shot or not. The thing is
that the black tape around the canister was
removed which makes me wonder whether it was
shot or not. I know my Grandpa is forgetful so it
wouldn't surprise me if he forgot to send it in!
The possibility of finding a lost home movie makes
me think it would be worth the money to process
even if it came back all black. The film is
probably 20-25 years old. The last movie he shot
is dated 1979.
I'd love to hear what peoples stories are with
those two labs. I want to get this processed and
are unsure of which to choose.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks